BECOME A MEMBER
Mrs. Beth Kerttula
Director of the National Ocean Council Office
- Alaska Bar Association (attorney);
- National Caucus of Environmental Legislators (NCEL) Board Member.
- Visiting Fellow at Stanford’s Center for Ocean Solutions;
- State of Alaska House of Representatives: House Minority Leader;
- Alaska Attorney General's Office;
- Counsel: Alaska Senate Judiciary Committee;
- Clerk: Alaska Court of Appeals.
Beth Kerttula had served in the State Alaska House of Representatives from 1999 to 2014 and was minority leader from 2007 to 2014, before she left her seat in order to accept a position with Stanford University as Visiting Fellow with the Center for Ocean Solutions in early 2014. In June 2104, she joined the Obama Administration as Director of the National Ocean Council Office.
Before her legislative service, Beth Kerttula was an attorney in the Alaska State Attorney General's office in the Oil, Gas and Mining Section. Her experience there enabled her to be a leader in the effort to restructure Alaska’s oil tax system and to ensure the best future for a gas line in Alaska. She was also the original sponsor of Alaska’s world-renowned cruise ship pollution legislation and has championed other important issues such as ending human trafficking and coastal management. Beth Kerttula is past president of the Alaska Bar Association, a CSG Toll Fellow, a Roosevelt Fellow, and a Center for Women’s Policy Studies’ Foreign Policy Institute Fellow.